Ten Reasons To Encourage
Fitness In the Workplace
As business owners or managers, it is important to remember that our most important assets are our employees! We want our employees to enjoy their work environment, and to bring the best of themselves to their jobs every day. Encouraging our employees to embrace fitness as a lifestyle choice pays off in numerous ways!
- Fit employees are less likely to get sick.
A person who is physically fit is generally more resistant to the
"bug going around" than a person who is not fit. Reduced
absenteeism and reduced health care expenditures are the result of a
fit employee base.
- Fit employees have more energy. One
of the many benefits of regular exercise is increased and sustained
energy throughout the day. This energy allows the employee to stay
focused on the task at handing, bringing the best of themselves to
- Fit employees have more self-confidence. A
fit and healthy individual tends to have a high level of
self-confidence, because they have proven to themselves that they can
accomplish what it takes to obtain a level of physical fitness. This
self-confidence empowers the employee to challenge themselves, and
strive for higher levels of achievement in the workplace.
- Fit employees inspire confidence.
Any person who maintains a high fitness level, tends to be a person in
whom others have confidence.
- Fit employees tend to take on more leadership
of the many positive benefits of a lifestyle, a fit individual tends
to make a good leader.
- Fit employees set and achieve goals.
Extraordinary fitness often demands that an individual set and reach
goals related to their fitness. Learning to stay true to your goals
and see them through to completion is a skill that is naturally
brought into the workplace. An employee with the proven ability to set
aggressive goals, and then REALIZE those goals, is a valuable asset to
- Fit employees tend to have better attitudes.
Fit employees generally "feel good". They tend to have a
physical and mental "balance" that results in a more
positive attitude in the workplace.
- Fit employees are less stressed.
Regular exercise releases the physical AND emotional tensions that
life brings our way, thus a fit employee tends to have lower overall
stress levels than an employee who does not engage in regular
- A fit employee base presents excellent
team-building opportunities. Team activities like softball or tennis are wonderful
ways for employees to take their professional relationships to new
levels, and discover new ways of working together. Obviously,
employees that maintain a level of fitness are more likely to
participate in these activities.
- Encouraging fitness demonstrates a concern for employee's well-being, and pays off! Employees NOTICE when an employer shows concern for the health and well-being of their employee base through a variety of wellness programs. Further, it has been shown that employee turnover is significantly lower among employees that take advantage of a wellness program implemented by their employer.
Bob Doyle is a certified personal trainer and motivational speaker, based in Duluth, Georgia. He offers one-on-one fitness training and "physique transformation" programs. He also creates corporate wellness programs for businesses wishing to improve productivity, morale, and team-building. He is also available for in-house motivational speaking engagements. Details at http://www.boundlessliving.com